Tabs

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Half Lit

I don't know what it is about Christmas 2011, but it seems to be tainted with a whole lot of ZERO motivation for mama Schroer.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas.  All that festive buzz that is in the stores, the extra pep in the step you feel when you catch your first whiff of evergreen, the arrival of the seasonal peppermint latte.......it all puts a smile on my face, reminding me to slow down and take it all in, it's HERE.

But the decorating?  Not feeling it in 2011.  I tried Saturday night...cued the 6 disc changer of treasured holiday music, lit the fire, and after about three rows of pine branch fluff I through in the towel.  Our poor tree lay topless, and half smashed still from the storage bag.  It began to haunt me like some kind of Christmas sacrilege.  Evil grinch thoughts that wouldn't leave me alone in my list of to do's.

1.  Get groceries
2.  Finish the tree
3.  Help kids with music practice
4.  Finish the tree
5.  Switch out the laundry
6.  Finish the tree
7.  Make dental appointment
8.  FINISH THE FLIPPING TREE

But then last night I found this music.  Instant love.  Downloaded the album, through some Festival Of Trees in the Scentsy warmer, and got 'er done.  The anticipated tree lighting however?  Not so much love.  The pre-lit tree that turns out is, half lit.  Perfect.

  After some strategic twists and turns of sections.  Perk of evergreen fakeness.


But before Kailey went to bed she excitedly said, "Mom! Do Derek and I get to put all the decorations on?  Because it wouldn't beeee like Christmas if we don't get to."  And 20 minutes later?  The tiptoeing of Derek's feet out of bed into the living room, "Mom, don't put any ornaments on ok?  Will you save them for me and Kailey?"  And just like that, it was all worth it.  A tree half lit = glass half full baby.

Addition to the Christmas deco this year?  Outdoor bling.  Half dead, but fully lit.


Cuz that's just how the Schroer's roll


But I am LOVING the drive by of the front door that offers this magic through the glass.  It seriously does something melty to my heart.



And the other night?  I turned off all the lights and sat on the rug inside the door taking it all in.  Catching all the colors and thrown angles of light through the different glass.  I broke out the camera and tripod.  It was like soaking up a rainbow.  My family asked if I had completely lost my mind.
Nope.

                                                        Secret light show.  By invitation only.





You know what else makes everything worth it?  Scenes like this that I stumble on:

The conversation overheard? "Derek, you know I won a lot of races in this helmet!"  "Really Dad?"  



Catching moments of what could be a lifetime friendship



Chillin' with the sister watching Toddler's and Tiara's.  Because she asked him to.  True.Stud.Material.





Happy Holiday decorating, whether half dead, half lit, or just right.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you're cracking me up! I'm going to be your blog stalker!!! On a side note...have you noticed that Ripley's facial expression looks quite similar to Kailey's? Just sayin...:)
    ~Kris

    ReplyDelete